A blog about words, meaning-making, and impact.


Year off or No?

Do I have the time to spend a year not doing something I love? I do not think so. You never know when your time will be up. As the Anne Lamott quote I love so much says "now is all we have," and I truly agree with her words. The time is now.

I have been debating whether or not to take a year "off" before heading to graduate school. Idealy, I would find the time this summer to take the GRE, apply to schools, and get into the one that I want. With time and money and other circumstances, this is somewhat unrealistic. So, I would use a year off to become a more competitive candidate and enhance my resume. I would continue studying the languages I need, work, maybe volunteer, and would have the appropriate research paper that I do not have now.

But will I enjoy this year? Do I need to? Should I settle and just try to get into a less difficult school? What if I spend this year and accomplish everything as planned and still do not get into the schools I want (which is likely)?

I am frightened by all the possibilities and opportunities. At this point, I can do almost anything I want. I am worried I will end up choosing a path that I do not love and enjoy.

One thing is for sure....I love school. I love learning. The importance of education to me is up there with family. If I had the choice, I would never work and just go to school forever (I know now I can not actually do that. I must give back to the world. Serve others.). So....I know what I love. That is a place to start, right?