A blog about words, meaning-making, and impact.


Oprah's Lifeclass asks, "Who are you?"

After watching Oprah's Lifeclass on Monday, I tried to answer the question "who am I?" Deepak Chopra said that your answer should have nothing to do with what you do or the role you play, like mother, teacher, or writer. So, who am I? Who are you?

I am not a friend. I am not a daughter or a sister. I am not a waitress or a college graduate. I am not a child. I am not counselor, advisor, or teacher. I am not a girlfriend. But I am here, and I am alive. I am a spiritual being in a human body facing human experiences. I just am. I AM. And that means something. I am hopeful. I am compassionate. I am not my past. I am not my thoughts, but I am thoughtful. I am not my mother or my father. I am soul. I am energy. I am connected to the universe. I am proud. I am brave. I am my own savior. I am not the one who listens. I am not the life of the party. I am not quiet, even if you think I am. I am not too serious, no matter who tells me I am. I am free. I am free from what I am not. I am not what other people think of me. I am not lost. I am not scared. I am creative, but I am not your inspiration. I am not yours at all. I am not the day dreamer or your secret keeper. I am not a writer. I am what I believe. I am goodness. I am love. I am a gift. I am light. I am movement. I am change. I am growth. I am strong. I am forever. I am now. I am words, and I am action. Those are not the roles I play. It is not what I do. It is what I believe, and I am what I believe.

Thanks, Oprah and Deepak!
Oprah and Deepak Chopra
Oprah and Deepak Chopra in NYC

2 comments:

  1. You understand what I meant when I said simply that "I AM." Or are you saying "you are?" :)

    ReplyDelete